Countries that have made significant progress in their REDD+ readiness endeavors may be selected to participate in the Carbon Fund, through which the FCPF will pilot incentive payments for REDD+ policies and measures in approximately five developing countries. Such performance-based payments will play an essential part in valuing forests more while they are standing than when they are cut. The Carbon Fund became fully operational in May 2011.
The Carbon Fund will remunerate the selected countries in accordance with negotiated contracts for verifiably reducing emissions more than in the reference scenario. The Carbon Fund’s payments are intended to provide an incentive to the recipient countries and the various stakeholders—including forest-dependent indigenous peoples, other forest dwellers or the private sector—within each of these countries, to achieve long-term sustainability in financing forest conservation and management programs. This would help reduce the negative impact on the global climate from the loss and impoverishment of forests.
Processing Steps: From ER-PIN to ERPA Implementation
- Carbon Fund Dashboard (April 2015) (English)
- Carbon Fund Brochure (June 2013) (English)
- ER Program Origination Brochure (June 2013) (English)
- Carbon Fund Methodological Framework Design Process
- Carbon Fund Methodological Framework (English, Español, Français)
- Carbon Fund Disclosure Guidance (English)